I bring along a MeFOTO Backpacker on every night photography shoot I do. Why? It's perfect as the tripod for my second or third camera.
Wait? Second or third tripod? Is this guy crazy. In a word, yes. But not because I bring two or three cameras and tripods. This is logical.
My top reasons for using a MeFOTO Backpacker as my second or third camera for night photography:
- Lightweight: Does not add a lot of extra weight to the tripod bag.
- Small: Being so tiny when folded makes room for other stuff like other tripods, umbrellas, softboxes and more.
- Ideal for film cameras: I use a Mamiya 7II (6x7cm film), LOMO Bel-Air X 6-12 Cityslicker (6x12cm film) and Toyo VX125 (4x5" film)- lightweight cameras well within the maximum weight capacity of 8.8 lbs. If you use a mirrorless digital camera, this is also ideal for you, but check out the maximum height to make sure it's comfy for your style.
- Steady: My film exposures tend to be anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. The MeFOTO Backpacker is solid as a rock, and looks good, too.
- Increased Productivity: If a digital exposure takes, on average, 2 - 8 minutes - what am I doing during those exposures? Using my second and third cameras to double and triple productivity! A-ha!
I bought my Backpacker tripod as soon as I saw the color. Yeah. I know. But I immediately also saw the above characteristics as a benefit and started using it on every shoot. Below, you can see the same shot on two cameras shot simultaneously. Double down and win!
Believe it or not, my Toyo VX125 (only 5.5 lbs) handles really well. Here is an action shot from the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado during a 2 1/2-hour exposure I made, which sadly was too little on the new moon; there is no foreground detail and I had no interest in meeting the local wildlife.
It's also very good at low angles, as you can see below.
Now please, pretty please check the weight of your camera before considering getting a MeFOTO Backpacker as your second or third tripod. Make sure it's 8.8 lbs or less to be safe. If you are using a film camera (and not a telephoto lens), chances are that you will be A-OK.
Category Night Photography
Tags MeFOTO Backpacker, NYC, lomo belair 6-12, mamiya 7ii, nikon d700, toyo vx125